I knew that I wouldn’t be very mobile after my surgery and that my ability to do housework and cooking would be limited. So before my surgery I cleaned the house and put in a big effort in the kitchen – making cookies and dinners to last us a few days. For dinner, I wanted something that could be easily pulled out of the freezer and popped in the microwave. So I ended up making vegetarian burritos. There are so many different recipes on the internet. I looked at a few, then looked in my cupboards, and came up with my own variation. They turned out perfectly and are so easy to make.
Freezable Vegetarian Burritos
– 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
– 1 can vegetarian fat-free refried beans (you could also use black beans or pinto beans)
-1 cup cooked brown rice
– jalapeno peppers (optional)
– 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used monterey jack but cheddar would be good too)
1. Lay the tortillas out on a flat surface and spread equal amount of the ingredients into each tortilla in the following order: beans, rice, jalapeno peppers (1 or 2 depending on how spicy you like it), cheese.
2. Roll up each burrito by tucking in the edges and folding over tightly.
3. Wrap each in plastic wrap and place into a plastic bag. Seal and place into freezer
To heat and eat:
-Pre-heat oven to 350 F
-Remove plastic wrap and cook for about 15 minutes or until done.
-Remove plastic wrap and microwave for 3-5 mins