Lemons are one of my favorite fruits. I like lemons in water, with green tea, squeezed over a big salad, and my favorite – baked with a piece of fish.
Recently I have been experimenting with using lemons in baking. Over the weekend I trialled a lemon cookie recipe and they turned out to be scrumptious so I thought I would share it.
Lovely Lemon Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (I threw them in my blender)
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and egg until well blended. Add lemon juice and peel.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Add almonds.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned (cookies will not brown on top).
- Remove immediately and transfer cookies to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes
- Roll in powdered sugar and enjoy!